When Think Local Little Falls launched on Small Business Saturday 2012, we didn’t know how difficult the task ahead would be.
Our first “SUPER THIRD THURSDAYS” were held in 2013. Our July event floundered under extreme heat, with one vendor reduced to tears as her chocolate melted. And heavy rains drowned out our October event. By 2014, the committee had lost heart and merchants were disenchanted with our efforts.
But 2015 found the committee re-energized by the young women who joined us. Our Facebook presence was enhanced, our press releases were expanded, and two events were added to our schedule: a Midsummer Night’s Picnic and a Pizza Challenge. What a difference one year had made.
Now in 2017, we find our events exploding! Our June Art Walk attracted 53+ artists at 40 locations and brought, we believe, 1,200 people out to Main Street.
- It has been said that it takes a village; for Think Local it has taken a community:
- dedicated committee members
- 80+ engaged Think Local business members
- a supportive City Government: the Mayor’s office, the DPW, the Police and Fire Departments
- the Sponsorship of the Little Falls City Tourism Committee and the Little Falls Family YMCA
- a school district that allows us to utilize their backpack program to advertise children’s events and whose teachers enrich our events
- supportive community groups
- Van Meter & Van Meter, who maintain our Shop Local website, write our grants, and provide endless guidance
- H&H Accounting and Little Falls Construction, who provide us with inexpensive printing
- countless individuals behind the scenes who do a myriad of tasks, and
- the boundless support and encouragement of Main Street First, including their efforts to organize a merchant’s group before we emerged as Think Local
Please volunteer to help our efforts. We have numerous tasks and we promise to find a task that suits both your interests and your time limitations. Contact us on our Think Local Little Falls Facebook page or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elaine Cobb is the Co-Chair of Think Local Little Falls with Christine Van Meter.
“Teamwork is the ability to work together toward a common vision. The ability to direct individual accomplishments toward organizational objectives. It is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results.” – Andrew Carnegie